In this case of on-premise to cloud migration we will share the details of how we transferred the client’s virtual serves into the cloud and set up BaaS for reserve copying.
What were the client’s expectations?
The client was working with a file server and other virtual VMware ESXi servers based on Windows. Reserve copies were stored on an external FTP server. The client has already experienced total system failure. Dealing with the consequences took a lot of time and resources. The client had to:
- reinstall and update the OS;
- reinstall and update the entire program stack;
- recreate the catalogue tree for each user, as well as file acess rights;
- reestablish the VPN connection.
The ability to automatically recover data in case of such failures was vital to the client.
- get the ability to increase the disk space of the virtual servers;
- create a reserve copying mechanism that allows automatic recovery;
- keep the option to recover user files from the FTP storage;
- set up VPN connections for resources often used by the client’s staff.
The client's IT infrastructure before the start of the project