This instruction will help you if, when activating the Windows Server 2012/2016 operating system deployed in the cloud, after entering a valid key, the operating system reports that the system version is incompatible with the key.
Instruction To solve this problem, you need to follow a few simple steps.
- Deploy an instance from the image you need.
- Launch the instance and connect to it via the console.
- Run command prompt with administrator rights.
- Win (Windows logo key) + X on the keyboard, then select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the menu that appears. The same menu can be called by right-clicking on the "Start" button.
- Run command: DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /ProductKey:YOUR PRODUCT KEY /AcceptEula
YOUR PRODUCT KEY must be replaced with your activation key.
Why doesn't Windows activate automatically when you buy a license?
The need to execute a special command is due to the peculiarities of converting the official evaluation version of Windows Server to retail. Without user intervention, the OS cannot determine the release ID and product key. If you need help with activation, please open a support ticket.
By default, all OS images prepared for installation in SIM-Cloud are provided without licenses (trial versions or unlicensed products). Licensing of the software used is solely the responsibility of the client.
You can purchase licenses yourself, use the licenses you have previously purchased, or use SIM-Networks services to purchase them.